Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are/were your exam weeks scheduled?

Saiyan Race

Hyperbolic Time Chamber
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,232 Times in 4,237 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2985 Post(s)
    Time Online
    293 d 14 h 35 m
    Avg. Time Online
    3 h 44 m
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Infam0us Joe Steam ID: infamousjoe

How are/were your exam weeks scheduled?

Do you do anything differently? Wake up earlier/stay up later than usual to study? Do you eat differently?

Personally, I go through my notes for the first time (if I hate to) for the semester. I read my notes, book chapters and such probably twice, more if I feel I am not ready for an exam.

I also try and stay away from going out and hanging with friends which is obviously a distraction.

Please share your current or even past "exam-lifestyle".

United States
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Time Online
    39 d 23 h 13 m
    Avg. Time Online
    30 m
    This year, probably flip through books and go over my notes . I don't think any of them will be too bad, and it's scheduled very nicely(except math and physics are back-to-back )

01001000 01000101 01010010 01000101
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Time Online
    1 d 15 h 2 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    I start eating fruit and veg mainly for the few days leading up to the exam and also take a bag of snake lollies into the exam, the sugar is good for the brain in exams

Asia
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Time Online
    42 d 14 h 28 m
    Avg. Time Online
    32 m
    We aren't allowed food into the exam area. I don't eat differently, and I'd say don't stay up late to mug last minute, just go in with what you have. (Or what you think you have)

And stay off neo. The purge more or less screwed my last national exam, still waiting for the results but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Time Online
    23 d 14 h 15 m
    Avg. Time Online
    18 m
    It's going terribly. I can't find my book, it doesn't matter the entire class has failed all three tests and he has to keep adding points to make anyone pass. One hour til freak out time. #sostressed

Brainiac

Western Canadian deep freeze
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 959 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Time Online
    48 d 4 h 16 m
    Avg. Time Online
    36 m
    I miss school so no exams anymore but what I have experienced and have learned in school is that your brain can only do so much. Do not stress yourself out.

When it comes to studying it is really down to pacing yourself. The brain does not store study information information in seconds so cramming and trying to read material very quickly thinking you can get it done fast is basically nothing but a waste of time. In exams the important thing is your long term memory, what you have permanently stored and can easily retrieve rather than the cramming method of short term memory which only lasts in about 20-30 second intervals (after that amount of time it decays and you will not remember it). Instead you need to take your time, read a packet of notes for an hour or two then take a 10-15 minute break and grab a snack or something. It is very important not to cram yourself with information to the point of feeling overwhelmed or to become tired and stressed. Go through all your notes in this stop and go manner until you are through everything and repeat. The key is pacing yourself to be able to reread that information a few times. The more you reread information, in a time period, the more likely your brain is to recognize that material as "important" and thus stores it in your long term memory. Again all cramming does is overload your mind, it will only remember the past 20-30 seconds of material but if you can repeat that material over and over on different days then it becomes meaningful material rather than a quick pile of words on a page.

Other than pacing yourself you can take advantage of sensory memory. Your sense of smell is an extremely powerful tool for retrieving memories, for example if some people grew up baking cookies with Grandma they may have a memory of her anytime they smell cookies baking at a different time. For studying you can use association and conditioning, basically chew a specific flavor of gum while studying and take that same flavor into the exam. It will not cause you to have some magical memory powers or anything you still need to know your material lol but the association of studying the material while chewing a specific flavor of gum and taking that into the exam can allow the brain to access information easier and quicker thanks to the association of studying + gum.

Oh and lastly the easiest and most common sense tip is get a good amount of sleep. Do not be tired when you study, do not go off of 2 hours of sleep before your exam. A well rested body will make things far more simpler.

Denmark
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Time Online
    7 d 1 h 36 m
    Avg. Time Online
    5 m
    I have a weird sleeping pattern during exams, and I don't eat as much as I should. I usually just go over everything and make sure I know the basic stuff I always despise exams, especially oral because I get so nervous

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Time Online
    24 d 4 h 56 m
    Avg. Time Online
    18 m
    I kind of just show up.

Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,599 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1387 Post(s)
    Time Online
    352 d 1 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 h 29 m
    Meh. Usually they are in a week span. This semester I have three next week. I live beside the school so I leave 15 minutes before it starts. Generally, I cram last minute so I sometimes dont sleep the day before. I know its a terrible way to do things but its how I study best XD

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Time Online
    20 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I stay up later. Yesterday i had an exam
    I use my notes, books of the subject and search information that i don't understand (internet) to study...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast