352 Post(s)
    Time Online
    1 d 20 h 51 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: invader__grimm

Middlemen...THE GUIDE.

Due to recent events, I feel it is necessary to have a guide for this.

What is a middleman?
    A middleman is a neutral, trusted party that handles the transition of goods between buyer and seller.

Why should I use a middleman?
    Middlemen greatly reduce, if not eliminate, the possibility of a scam occurring.

How does it work?
    Every situation is different, and depends on what is being traded, bought or sold. Here is an example:

NP Sale - User A (seller) is going to sell User B (buyer) 1 million NP for $2 USD. Both parties agree on a middleman (highly recommended that you use one of Clraik's official middlemen!). It's important that both parties agree. User A transfers the NP (or ETS) to the middleman, and User B sends their $$ to User A. The MM confirms payment by User B and then delivers the goods. User A receives the $2 and User B receives the NP/ETS, no harm done.

Now, let's pretend that User B was a scammer. User A sends the NP to the middleman, but User B never pays. The NP is returned and no harm is done. Without a middleman, the seller would have lost their NP.

Situations involving accounts or pets will be handled differently, and can be discussed with your chosen middleman. Official middlemen will always use the safest way to get the goods to both parties! Some middlemen are willing to replace items that are lost or frozen, but make sure this is discussed BEFORE the trade.

ALWAYS REQUEST A MIDDLEMAN IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT A TRADE. If someone refuses a middleman, trade at your own risk. Refusing a middleman is a HUGE red flag! If you trade with someone who refuses a middleman, and you get scammed, it's your own damn fault.

Please remember that this is the Internet. People are not always who they say they are, and even if they seem nice/trustworthy, they may not be. Listen to your gut, if you feel uneasy then don't trade. Also remember that vouchers don't hold any water unless it's from a Mod or Admin. I'm so tired of seeing people scammed because they didn't use a middleman. Now you have no excuse! Don't accept any excuse not to use a MM (ie. I don't have time for one, I don't understand how they work, etc)

If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to PM me, other OMM, or a mod. We don't bite!

You can see the official middlemen (OMM) here: http://clraik.com/forum/showthread.p...st-a-MM-thread!
    Last edited by Kristin; 01-08-2012 at 06:46 PM.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Useful Post:

alien (01-03-2014),Ana (06-13-2012),Avmo (02-20-2012),aznboy1997 (04-08-2013),Charlie (06-25-2012),Cub (06-13-2014),daggerart87 (06-07-2016),EdenQueen (06-20-2014),global superstar (09-01-2013),I_royalty_I (01-08-2012),IndigoSunset (01-08-2012),jjudd43 (01-08-2012),Kad (01-21-2014),lamest (12-15-2016),Meepit (05-11-2014),Meercat (01-08-2012),Neal Caffrey (07-17-2014),razkull (08-11-2012),Shichibukai (01-09-2012),simmie (06-21-2014),Sunlight (01-08-2012),trix (04-14-2012),xRomanChan (04-16-2012)

UK
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Time Online
    7 d 17 h 6 m
    Avg. Time Online
    5 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    Also remember that vouchers don't hold any water unless it's from a Mod or Admin.
    To be honest, I'd still say vouchers don't hold any water, regardless of from whom they come.

Other than that, useful guide, good job!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoSunset For This Useful Post:

Ronith (02-21-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Nice guide But won't the MM be in danger of CBs then if the money is sent to him/her first?

NC, USA
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Time Online
    1 d 20 h 51 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scan View Post
    Nice guide But won't the MM be in danger of CBs then if the money is sent to him/her first?
    Middlemen are volunteers and are willing to take the risk. But as long as the payment is sent via gift option, it shouldn't be able to be CB'd. Thought, people willing to use MM are typically not scammers anyway. I'm not saying this is true all the time, but usually.

Banned
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    You say it shouldn't be able to be CB'd if it's gift option - yet why are there so many cases of CB's - at least from what I've seen
    I'm pretty sure it's easy to CB, and gift option is only a small hurdle - though I haven't done many user to user transfers so I don't know that much... I've mainly done transactions through websites specifically selling NPs items.

They had me write something in the notes like, "I have revived my virtual items and am very happy with them and will not charge back."

Maybe that will help? Idk =P

Andrew

Behind you.
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,779 Times in 2,993 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Time Online
    338 d 4 h 12 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 h 18 m
    In the many trades that I have MMed for, I have NEVER taken payment from anybody.
    I think that it should be a rule that MM never receive or hold money for people. They should always find a way to hold the goods until the seller receives the payments.

I am willing to help out, but I am not willing to stick my neck out and bite a CB if the buyer they choose to sell to is shady. That's just me personally.

Banned
    Canada
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It would be better if you suggested instead of holding payment the Middleman holds the virtual items so that the Middleman can't be hit by a CB.

NC, USA
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Time Online
    1 d 20 h 51 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    Gamer IDs

I know that you cannot open a paypal dispute on a gift payment, the thing that is difficult is that it's hard to tell if you've received a gift payment or a regular payment. You just need to make sure to look at the details of it. There is no way to be 100% safe with paypal, because paypal does not have protection on intangible goods. But the gift option does eliminate a lot of the issues.

I always recommend using western union for larger purchases. Some people ONLY accept WU. It's up to the seller of course.

@I_royalty_I
    Yes, I agree. I only stick my neck out for people I trust. Otherwise, I do it the way you said. I suppose I should change the example in the guide, haha!
    Last edited by Kristin; 01-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Banned
    Cali
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Nice guide but i don't understand totally :/