DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

How did you like it? I thought it was garbage myself. The characters are all Asian with an American accent which bugged the crap out of me, the fire nation was too nice, and the plot was just the movie drawn out over the season

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    945 times
    Time Online
    116d 17h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I haven't finished yet (maybe 3 or 4 eps to go) but I am LOVING it. The casting is amazing, I appreciate some of the depth they gave to extra characters vs in the animation (which I think does help to offset a little of the smushed pacing they had to settle for given the brevity of the episode run) and I really think the important part to remember is this is an adaptation, not a recreation. They are taking liberties in many ways that obviously isn't faithful to the source, but most of the choices I think they made were good and that's what gives an adaptation its own credit aside from the source.

Sokka is great, Zuko is great, Iroh is great, Katara is great, their acting and chemistry in show are adorable. Aang is a little kid with very little acting chops but he's literally a kid so, appropriate lol. I know (and had the same criticisms) that a lot of people weren't a fan of Azula/Mai/TyLee's casting, because they look so young and childish, but I think that is something we didn't get in the animated series - making it unnerving just how young they are. They're literally like what, 13 year old girls? Fighting and killing? Shit's dark. So even though I looove their designs in the animated series, I think the discord between how they look and behave is a plus in the live action.

The only thing that will forever and always break my heart is no Zutara :' )))))))

ETA Arden Cho is mother and the incels who were crying "omg she's so old weh weh" need to get their windpipes flattened by her heel 😌

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Misha (3 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I haven't finished yet (maybe 3 or 4 eps to go) but I am LOVING it. The casting is amazing, I appreciate some of the depth they gave to extra characters vs in the animation (which I think does help to offset a little of the smushed pacing they had to settle for given the brevity of the episode run) and I really think the important part to remember is this is an adaptation, not a recreation. They are taking liberties in many ways that obviously isn't faithful to the source, but most of the choices I think they made were good and that's what gives an adaptation its own credit aside from the source.

Sokka is great, Zuko is great, Iroh is great, Katara is great, their acting and chemistry in show are adorable. Aang is a little kid with very little acting chops but he's literally a kid so, appropriate lol. I know (and had the same criticisms) that a lot of people weren't a fan of Azula/Mai/TyLee's casting, because they look so young and childish, but I think that is something we didn't get in the animated series - making it unnerving just how young they are. They're literally like what, 13 year old girls? Fighting and killing? Shit's dark. So even though I looove their designs in the animated series, I think the discord between how they look and behave is a plus in the live action.

The only thing that will forever and always break my heart is no Zutara :' )))))))

ETA Arden Cho is mother and the incels who were crying "omg she's so old weh weh" need to get their windpipes flattened by her heel 😌
    Okay you make some amazing points and now I feel like an ass for my comments lol

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    945 times
    Time Online
    116d 17h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    Okay you make some amazing points and now I feel like an ass for my comments lol
    it's okay everyone has different contexts from which they consume and parse media! as an asian american myself of course representation is a lot more important to me, and genre wise it's fantasy at the end of the day, not even like a true-blue historical korean or chinese drama type period piece so I think it'd be a lot more off putting if they forced the actors to have some kind of accent anyway xD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Misha (3 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    it's okay everyone has different contexts from which they consume and parse media! as an asian american myself of course representation is a lot more important to me, and genre wise it's fantasy at the end of the day, not even like a true-blue historical korean or chinese drama type period piece so I think it'd be a lot more off putting if they forced the actors to have some kind of accent anyway xD
    That's a very good point! I personally was just off-put that every actor was Asian with a very distinct American accent lol. I will still say that I'm a little annoyed that the fire nation was so friendly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Ice (3 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    945 times
    Time Online
    116d 17h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    That's a very good point! I personally was just off-put that every actor was Asian with a very distinct American accent lol. I will still say that I'm a little annoyed that the fire nation was so friendly
    haha well most of the main cast is either American/Canadian nationality so yeah not much of an accent to be found 😂 I had no idea that Suki's actress is Chinese/Polish though, that's so cool! (and explains her GORGEOUS genes 😍)

to me it seems like they're putting a bigger emphasis on oppressed nations (earth kingdom, maybe northern water tribe when I get to that episode) being a lot more bitter/incendiary and the fire nation being a majority of "these are just average people living their lives" kind of disparity, to showcase the nuance of war. (to put it in very watered down real life comparison, in war there are infinitely more innocent casualties of people simply caught in the middle while the top levels are the ones truly inciting hate/spreading violence) but I've been slowly watching the series with my friends when we can meet up so I can't binge the rest of it LOL 😭

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Misha (3 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    378 times
    Time Online
    88d 9h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I also liked it.

I posted in the anime group about it. I actually think it is really good and really enjoyed watching it