65/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    32d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

Computer Information Science-

So let me start off by saying that I know very little about computers. At least as far as anything important...I guess. lol.
    But, being in college and having this wide selection of classes...why not, right?

However, I'd like to take a class but I don't want to go in there and end up being completely lost and not knowing what I'm doing.

So there's this class which is completely full now but here's the description. This is the most basic class-

CIS 110 - C01 Computer Info Process

Surveys the need for, and roles of, computer information systems in contemporary society. Designed to satisfy the need of students from every discipline to be computer literate, and provides the necessary basis for further computer-related studies. Emphasizes computer requirements in organizations, history, hardware concepts, programming, application software, systems development, and computer operations.

And here's another class which doesn't have a prereq or anything but I don't want to consider taking it if there's no chance of me being able to learn.

CIS 202 - C02 Intro Prog And Algo

Introduces algorithms and translation of algorithms into a programming language. Student will create algorithms and computer programs that implement those algorithms. Will learn programming language syntax and programming fundamentals including variables, input and output, arithmetic and logical operations, control flow (sequence, selection, iteration), file access and modular development. Computer language used may change over time, but an example language would be C# (C Sharp).

So, would I be able to benefit from taking the Intro to Prog and Algo class or should I wait until next year and take the first class?

DER HUMPINK

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    CIS 110 - Sounds like complete crap, probably put in more to give some courses more certifications by covering IT elements. Anyone ever wondered why you study ethics in IT? Same thing...

CIS 202 - "Will learn programming language syntax and programming fundamentals including variables, input and output, arithmetic and logical operations, control flow (sequence, selection, iteration)", sounds like a very basic introductory subject from this excerpt. But then again, I've not seen the full subject outline and it seems to be a level 2 subject. =/

What exactly are your goals? What do you want to get out of this?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    32d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Well, I know jack shit so an introductory course would be great for me. I'd like to at least be able to make SOMETHING. Or at least try my hand at it. I've tried reading things but I can't really wrap my head around the concept, lol. I think I'd be better off if it was actually taught to me instead of me trying to learn on my own.

DER HUMPINK

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Course 2 sounds just like the contents of every off the shelf programming book you will get. They teach you the basics , take it if you dont have libary access lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    32d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Well I'd rather have something taught to me than me just trying to figure it out on my own. Maybe I'll take it next year or something. lol.

DER HUMPINK

Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    5d 21h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I dont know about you but certain things I learn better being self taught than being taught by somebody else. Usually when i'm trying to teach myself something I have more of a drive to do it and do it correctly.