Thread: Need help with a programing assignment in Java! +Rep!

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Time Online
    22 d 18 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    17 m

Need help with a programing assignment in Java! +Rep!

I signed up for a Java class and to be honest I've gotten lost already. Here is the assignment; I do NOT want you to simply do it because I know it would take a real programmer all of two seconds to do. I want you to help EXPLAIN this assignment to me and help me understand so I can be prepared for future assignments and tests. I assume you already have a program to run whatever, but if not here is a link to the one we are using. It's free. http://processing.org/download/

Now, here is the assignment. I have to make three colored buttons. Each button is a switch that turns the background to a different color. Here is a picture of what pressing some buttons looks like:

I've written code to make the shapes and colors right but I need help setting up variables and whatnot. Most likely what I have written is totally wrong in terms of what the finished program should look like, but visually it looks right (size/colors of squares; have not yet made the borders bold.)

This project is due tuesday but I would really like to get some understanding of it today. I have some "hints" given too that I can write up if it will help. Thanks!

Little Brother

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 651 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Time Online
    21 d 17 h 32 m
    Avg. Time Online
    16 m

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Time Online
    22 d 18 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    17 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachafer View Post
    Thank you for the help but I have no idea what a mouse listener is or how to use one. I am in an introductory class and what I am mainly looking for is a way to make the program recognize that the mouse is being pressed in a certain area (the squares) and to then do something (change border of square and background color) because of this.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Here's another attempt, based on modifying a switch example that was given:

I understand the boolean switchPressed being set to false and then to on when the mouse is pressed in the area given by the last part. What I don't understand is how to set up THREE squares to do this because of the single variable switchPressed. In addition, I'm a bit stumped on making the grey borders.

Little Brother

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 651 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Time Online
    21 d 17 h 32 m
    Avg. Time Online
    16 m