17/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    23d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

What's your skincare routine?

I've been doing a multi-step skincare routine for awhile now, so I'm curious of everyone else's skincare routines as well!

I currently (you need an account to see links) so my current skincare routine/products:
    Everyday
    - Daily cleanse with Clear Collective Exfoliating Cleanser (I'm realizing as I'm writing this, that it defeats the purpose of skin cycling to use this daily - probably going to look to switch this out for salicylic acid cleanser)
    - Tone with AprilSkin Artemisia Rice Toner (this was my first toner I've used, not sure if I've felt much of a difference between using it and not LOL)
    - Apply The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Serum (I do this after I exfoliate, but before I use my retinol, love this product)
    Exfoliation (Day 1)
    - Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant (love this product!)
    Retinol (Day 2)
    - Apply The Ordinary Retinol 1% in Squalane serum (product is ok, haven't had bad experiences with it, but considering switching brands)
    Rest days (Day 3-4)
    - Apply The Ordinary Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% Serum (less potent vitamin C serum, thinking about switching brands, but has worked for me for awhile)
    - Moisturize with The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA (I like that I don't have to use too much of this & has hyaluronic acid in it)
    - Moisturize with cocokind Resurrection Polypeptide Cream (I got this to try since I saw it on tiktok and it's nice; the cream is pretty thick so a bit hard to apply, but easier when I mix with the above moisturizer. Makes my skin feel super hydrated and glowy)

I personally started using almost exclusively The Ordinary products since they are cheap and easily accessible (most products are ~$10USD and can be found in Target/Ulta), and I've been slowly switching products as I explore different brands/serums.
    I'd love to hear about what kind of skincare routine you follow (however short/simple or long/complex it may be), what your favorite must-have products are, or what products you avoid!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ghastly For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (02-07-2024),DarkSkies (02-07-2024),Excalibur (02-07-2024),♥ Novaray ♥ (02-07-2024),rio (02-08-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    19d 4h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I currently have some prescription things I'm on - one of them is tretinoin and I forgot the other. I used to be on Accutane for a bit, wondering if I need to go back, but I REALLY don't want to. That shit sucks. Otherwise I just use a Cetaphil basic face wash.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caviar For This Useful Post:

Ghastly (02-07-2024),♥ Novaray ♥ (02-07-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 20h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    Wow, that's quite a routine! Impressive. How was your skin before and after this plan?

My skin was horrible for the first 27 years of my life. Did not have a proper routine. Lots of breakouts and oil spots. Come to find out there are skin types, found out mine was combination skin type. Which is dry in some areas, oily in others.
    I bought cerave oil control face wash so I wash 2-3 times a day, then tone, then use neutragena combination skin moisturizer or cerave moisturizer +spf. (friendly reminder - please use sun protection!) For night creams I was using a vitamin C skin repair but just switched to burt's bees night cream and it has been a real blessing so far. The only thing now is that if I put on makeup (rare) the foundation goes on flaky on my forehead. My routine isn't perfect but one day at a time.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    70d 2h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Oooo!!! As someone that used to have severe acne (finally under control and gone now!) during the beginning of the pandemic I got very into skincare, and still am to this day

Morning:

The Inky List 2% Salicylic Acid Cleanser
    COSRX Propolis Toner
    Beauty of Joseon Glow Deep Serum: Rice + Alpha Arbutin
    Medi8 Liquid Peptides Serum
    SKIN1004 Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun 50+ PA++++ SPF

Evening:

HaruHaru Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner For Sensitive Skin
    Beauty of Joseon Glow Deep Serum: Rice + Alpha Arbutin
    COSRX Propolis Ampoule
    Paula's Choice 1% Retinol
    Glow Recipe Watermelon Moisturiser

I do this everyday, sometimes I'll swap one thing for something else but this is my routine so far I might get one or two blemish now which I can control with Medi8 Blemish SOS.

*that's rough buddy*

(you need an account to see links)

thank you Dita ;u; & thank you sugarbee *u* thank you Lyrichord for the ub *O* thank you Kibba for the dp eue

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollow For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    21d 10h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Omg thanks for this thread haha. It is interesting to see what works for everyone.

I stick to the basics! If I don't keep things extremely simple, I end up skipping skincare altogether lol so this comes back to the phrase 'the best skincare routine is the one you actually use'

Morning
    Just water lol
    Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturizer
    Bioré Watery Essence SPF 50+ PA++++

Evening
    CosRx Micellar Water, can't remember which one
    CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
    The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
    Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturizer

2 nights per week, spaced out
    The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:

Ghastly (02-07-2024),Hollow (02-07-2024),♥ Novaray ♥ (02-07-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    124 times
    Time Online
    137d 10h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    I'm currently in my Glow Recipe phase, and I keep my routine simple because ain't nobody got time for a skincare routine that comprises more than five steps.

Malin + Goetz Grapefruit Face Cleanser
    Simple Kind to Skin Soothing Facial Toner
    Glow Recipe Avocado Melt Retinol Eye Cream – only at night
    Glow Recipe Plum Plump Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum
    Glow Recipe Plum Plump Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer

On even-numbered days I use Alpha-H Liquid Gold (an exfoliating treatment) in place of everything from toner onwards. I love even-numbered days the most.

For sunscreen, I use La Roche Posay's Antihelios for face and whatever catches my eye at local drugstores for body.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Styx For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Omg you guys have such intense routines! I might write some of this down.

Currently my morning routine is just water, then Yves Rocher zero blemish skin cream (been using it for years and I love it, it's so gentle on the skin.)
    In the winter I don't use it as much but I will wear a Cerave Moisturizer with SPF on sunny days.
    Night time I use Cetaphil gentle foaming cleanser, Lush Tea Tree toner, then Yves Rocher zero blemish cream.

I've always struggled with acne and have had much more complex routines but my skin just kinda hates everything that's not basically baby products so I often get stuck. My skin's been better now than it has in ages, though I still get break outs now and then.

I actually tried microneedling recently because I had some scars and some enlarged pores next to my nose that I hated, and it REALLY helped to clear it up! I only did two sessions but my skin texture definitely became softer and my pores noticeably shrank. It's a bit pricy but honestly worth the money and probably about the same as all the damn serums I've used over the years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Novaray For This Useful Post:

Ghastly (02-07-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    19d 4h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I've heard Asian skincare is insane and I wonder if it's worth using eighty million products like they do.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by caviar View Post
    I've heard Asian skincare is insane and I wonder if it's worth using eighty million products like they do.
    Right? It seems so luxurious! I bet they have incredible skin but I don't like having a complicated routine... what if something you need runs out or gets discontinued?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Novaray For This Useful Post:

caviar (02-07-2024)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    23d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcremie View Post
    Wow, that's quite a routine! Impressive. How was your skin before and after this plan?

My skin was horrible for the first 27 years of my life. Did not have a proper routine. Lots of breakouts and oil spots. Come to find out there are skin types, found out mine was combination skin type. Which is dry in some areas, oily in others.
    I bought cerave oil control face wash so I wash 2-3 times a day, then tone, then use neutragena combination skin moisturizer or cerave moisturizer +spf. (friendly reminder - please use sun protection!) For night creams I was using a vitamin C skin repair but just switched to burt's bees night cream and it has been a real blessing so far. The only thing now is that if I put on makeup (rare) the foundation goes on flaky on my forehead. My routine isn't perfect but one day at a time.
    My skin before was similar to yours, in which I had combo skin (specifically T-zone/mostly forehead) and had a lot of breakouts in that area. After getting a routine together, I feel like my skin type has kind of evened out, with some dry spots and my nose staying a bit oily. The main thing for me was that my breakouts decreased and left a lot quicker when I started skin cycling. I don't break out as often now, and acne usually leaves within 2-4 days now, which is really nice.
    And yes, SPF is so important!! How do you like the CeraVe SPF? I started with that one, but it felt really thick, so I switched to Supergoop Unseen sunscreen after trying my friends (it feels like you're putting on a primer and is so nice but is quite expensive). Now I'm currently using MISSHA Essence Sunmilk from Amazon which is a bit cheaper and feels so light on the skin!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Oooo!!! As someone that used to have severe acne (finally under control and gone now!) during the beginning of the pandemic I got very into skincare, and still am to this day
    SKIN1004 Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun 50+ PA++++ SPF
    Paula's Choice 1% Retinol
    Yay, I'm glad that setting a skincare routine helped clear up your acne! I definitely want to check out the cleanser and SPF you use, haven't heard of Inky List, but have heard a lot of good things about the SPF. How do you like the Paula's Choice Retinol? I've heard mixed things, and I'm a bit apprehensive on using it since it has both vitamin C and retinol, and I've heard to not use them together/mixed reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Vis View Post
    Omg thanks for this thread haha. It is interesting to see what works for everyone.

I stick to the basics! If I don't keep things extremely simple, I end up skipping skincare altogether lol so this comes back to the phrase 'the best skincare routine is the one you actually use'

The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
    Honestly based, it's infinitely easier to get into a routine/habit if it's something that you know you'll follow thru with! So many days where I come home late and I curse myself for having a routine that takes 10 minutes when I just want to go straight to bed lol. I used to use the same Ordinary exfoliating solution, how do you like it? I just didn't like that I had to leave it on and then wash it off after 10 min, so I ended up switching

Quote Originally Posted by Styx View Post
    I'm currently in my Glow Recipe phase, and I keep my routine simple because ain't nobody got time for a skincare routine that comprises more than five steps.

On even-numbered days I use Alpha-H Liquid Gold (an exfoliating treatment) in place of everything from toner onwards. I love even-numbered days the most.
    Yes, days where I can skip steps/are short are the best LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Novaray View Post
    Currently my morning routine is just water, then Yves Rocher zero blemish skin cream (been using it for years and I love it, it's so gentle on the skin.)

I've always struggled with acne and have had much more complex routines but my skin just kinda hates everything that's not basically baby products so I often get stuck. My skin's been better now than it has in ages, though I still get break outs now and then.

I actually tried microneedling recently because I had some scars and some enlarged pores next to my nose that I hated, and it REALLY helped to clear it up! I only did two sessions but my skin texture definitely became softer and my pores noticeably shrank. It's a bit pricy but honestly worth the money and probably about the same as all the damn serums I've used over the years.
    Ooo, I don't think I've heard of the Yves Rocher Skin Cream, I'll definitely have to look into it. I'm glad your skin is in a better place now! How was your experience with microneedling? I'm so scared of needles, so not sure how I'd do, but I've heard a lot of good things from friends who say the experience itself isn't bad!

Quote Originally Posted by caviar View Post
    All the Asian products I've used have been nice on my skin & you don't necessarily need to use a bunch of products. I think just incorporating 1 (maybe 2) product(s) at a time over a 2-4 week period is the way to go (especially since you're on prescription). That way you know how each product affects your skin & can adjust accordingly. It's a bit of a long process, and can sometimes be expensive, I feel like the time/money investment is worth it

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghastly For This Useful Post:

caviar (02-07-2024),Styx (02-07-2024)