Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The don't ask don't tell policy. The truth from a REAL veteran.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Why, oh why, did we need to bring up another issue about homosexuality v heterosexuality?

I thought we were over this shit.

First off, Gay people should be allowed to serve in any way they wish. Times change, and if you can't change with them, you just get left behind. Should we also ban assholes from the army because we can't get along with them? How about women? How about Blacks, or Latinos, or Asians? Just because you can't mentally develop past the reasoning capabilities of a high school football jock doesn't mean SHIT in the real world. Grow up, develop the ability to get along with others, and stop being an ass. As a leader, you will have to deal with a situation you may not like. If you can't handle it, someone else who can will. The ironic part is someday, it will be a black, female, lesbian who takes that place. What happens then?

As for this whole gay/straight, my respect for people is not defined by there sexual orientation. It is not a disease, nor something foul or unethical. This goes for both sides though, if you want something to change, stop saying there is a difference. You are what you are, but labeling yourself as different initially sets a dividing faction amongst an otherwise peaceful confrontation or association.

I know some people feel very strongly about this current topic, however I think there are more pressing issues at hand that need to be discussed. Civil issues are the least of the concerns in the United States at the moment. Real, tangible issues such as "Will I have a job tomorrow, will my kids have a job and house when they get older, will I be paid my pension, how will I survive retirement, and will America recover" are many issues that are more pressing than this trivial debate about something that should have been decided a long time ago. Gay marriage and gay rights are no different than those of a straight man or woman. We need to stop defining people by characteristics that mean absolutely nothing to us as an individual.

Also, just to put you in your place @(you need an account to see links) , America is no longer the greatest country in the world. The defense budget is funded by the government. The government is in debt. Debt means they have no money. No money = No defense budget = no big military for you to quiver about a stereotype. Did I simplify that enough?

If I left anything out, I'll make a return appearance after I finish this fucking homework.

Ahh, I knew I forgot something.
    If you wish to be taken seriously in a conversation, never state God Bless America. You lose the credibility of any liberal and any agnostic here.

And for the record, I am a male, white, heterosexual man. I'm also a conservative. Any questions as to my lack of affiliation with the 'dark side' as I feel you would name it?
    Last edited by Frank12; 09-05-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Riku View Post
    First of all, yes, I can read, thank you. And no, I have never served, and I will never serve for multiple reasons, but that's a different topic entirely.

Why can't gay people serve openly? I'm not the kind of person who goes around and flaunts my gayness, but if someone asks me, I will tell them. The distrust and lack of loyalty is coming from straight people who can't handle being in the same unit with gay guys. Newsflash: gay people aren't predators. We don't lust after every single guy that crosses our path. For all I know, you're ass-ugly. The lack of trust, the "inevitable" rape "issues", all of it is YOUR problem because YOU can't handle the fact that one of your own is gay.

Gayness does NOT, in any way, affect ability to perform on the battlefield. A straight guy can aim and shoot just as well as a gay guy can. There should be absolutely no unit cohesion problems. The problems come from people like you who are too insecure and ignorant to realize that gay people are no better and no less than you.
    You have never served just as I suspected. You don't ever plan to serve either, What is up with that? Are you not patriotic to the United States of America???

Seeing as you are not in the military how can you even formulate an argument? You have no idea what goes inside the military. The DADT eliminated the discrimination from gay people. If you don't know, you can't discriminate! That is how it worked. Your personal life and your job – the Army/Navy/Air Forces are two separate matters. You should never mix both of them.

I think what some people are forgetting is that homosexuals were allowed to serve in today’s military under the Don't as Don't tell policy! I have encountered several soldiers whom I'm sure were gay, but I didn't ask them what their sexual orientation was and I didn't tell. Plain and simple life goes on nobody gets hurt. The current policy is perfectly fine in my book. Is there any particular reason you want to attract unwanted attention to yourself? What exactly do you gain by this? Or is this apart of your gay agenda to force tolerance down our throats.

God bless

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by colton View Post
    You have never served just as I suspected. You don't ever plan to serve either, What is up with that? Are you not patriotic to the United States of America???

Seeing as you are not in the military how can you even formulate an argument? You have no idea what goes inside the military. The DADT eliminated the discrimination from gay people. If you don't know, you can't discriminate! That is how it worked. Your personal life and your job – the Army/Navy/Air Forces are two separate matters. You should never mix both of them.

I think what some people are forgetting is that homosexuals were allowed to serve in today’s military under the Don't as Don't tell policy! I have encountered several soldiers whom I'm sure were gay, but I didn't ask them what their sexual orientation was and I didn't tell. Plain and simple life goes on nobody gets hurt. The current policy is perfectly fine in my book. Is there any particular reason you want to attract unwanted attention to yourself? What exactly do you gain by this? Or is this apart of your gay agenda to force tolerance down our throats.

God bless
    Nope. I fucking hate this country and I cannot wait to move to Europe. I also hate the idea of war. But, like I said, totally different topic.

"Don't Ask Don't Tell" would prohibit me from saying "yes, I'm gay" if asked. It also allowed the military to dishonorably discharge gay people. That is why it is so ridiculous.

Also your arguments are hilarious. First with the "god bless" crap, and now the "gay agenda" crap. Yes: the gay agenda. Promoting humanity and acceptance. How horrible.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riku For This Useful Post:

Cody. (09-05-2012),Dom~ (09-06-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Riku View Post
    Nope. I fucking hate this country and I cannot wait to move to Europe. I also hate the idea of war. But, like I said, totally different topic.

"Don't Ask Don't Tell" would prohibit me from saying "yes, I'm gay" if asked. It also allowed the military to dishonorably discharge gay people. That is why it is so ridiculous.

Also your arguments are hilarious. First with the "god bless" crap, and now the "gay agenda" crap. Yes: the gay agenda. Promoting humanity and acceptance. How horrible.
    Yes. The millitary did dishonorably discharge gay people. This was because they were having an open relationship while on the battle field. Do you realize how dangerous this is? There are also rules against PDA. YES- hetero's are restricted from hanging all over each other in or out of uniform. Shocking I know!!

Are you telling me “god bless” is crap? I will not tolerate if you insult my religion. You are offending a great number of people.

, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

I am proud to be American citizen who fought for this country. God bless America and her troops.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Sorry to hurt your feelings, but if there is a god (not empirical proof), and if they DID happen to be the one you worshipped, even more unlikely then the first, and if they DID happen to JUST support your ONE country because you were BORN in it, even more unlikely then the last two, then he/she/it really isn't doing a good job at doing anything at all, now are they?

Second of all, you yourself are offending a bunch of people by saying they can't serve when they have every right to. The huge difference? What you take offence to is an insult to a belief. What they take offence to is you insulting who they were born as. Big difference, in my opinion. If you can't take it, don't deal it.

Lastly, if you are so uncomfortable with your own sexuality that you have to blame others for you feeling 'uncomfortable' around them, then you need to take a long look at yourself, and how very immature that is.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    , [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."
    If your making your argument based off of a religious intext made 240 years ago, please, try again.

I am proud to be American citizen who fought for this country. God bless America and her troops.
    America is a country, not a her. Speak in adult terms, not as an uneducated hick

Are you telling me “god bless” is crap? I will not tolerate if you insult my religion. You are offending a great number of people.
    You've offended a great many people with your comments you bigot.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank12 For This Useful Post:

Chi (09-06-2012),Cody. (09-05-2012),Lucy (09-06-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I'm fairly sure that this is a troll, probably that Tom guy that suggested the 'don't ask don't tell' in the suggestion forums.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    108/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    49d 8h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    @(you need an account to see links), I'm only 14 and id die before I went to war for someone else's greediness, I honestly have no problem with homosexuals that are in the war being open with their sexual orientation, they are perfectly fine, if you are offended by them than GTFO they have every right to be there, I have some really good friends that are gay/ bi-sexual, and than I greatly consider @(you need an account to see links) and @(you need an account to see links) my uncles because they are AMAZING people and there is nothing wrong with them, also I find it HORRIBLE that they mention "God" in almost every political/government/state job/ "pledge of allegiance" I do not even do that pledge of allegiance in school and they can no longer force you to, because sorry if I affend anyone but personally I do not believe in "God" and it disgusts me that it automatically autocorrects it to proper spelling, guess what I am trying to say is if you honestly think that is how the military should be ran than not only should you run out mid battle and get shells rained on you or someone with a sniper rifle is about to take your head off but I hope that you do run out there and someone pulls you back and that guy just so happens to be a homosexual, and just because of that one act of kindness from someone who is a homosexual, that would completely change your mind on them, because if he hadn't saved you than you would not be able to go back to your family, if you had one, which I HIGHLY doubt because people like you don't deserve loving families
    I rest my case for now....

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Edit: just remembered, turned 15 today.....
    [11:06 PN] domenick: you cant fix stupid
    [11:06 PM] andrew: unfortunately not lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This "debate" can basically be boiled down to:

(If you are a straight man) are you comfortable getting naked in front of an openly gay naked man, both showering at the same time in a public shower, knowing this may or may not be sexually arousing for him. (I'd get quite aroused if an attractive naked woman was showering 2 meters from me)

If you are cool with being in that situation, that's nice. I imagine a lot of (if not most) straight male soldiers aren't. I think being allowed to be openly gay is important and social justice blabla but in the army I can see that it could (not always) be detrimental to cohesion, and result in lost lives (both straight and gay).

I say go with what has worked. You can say that DADT is necessary only due to "assholes". Well, the "assholes" exist in large quantities so that argument makes it necessary nonetheless.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by archon_johnz View Post
    This "debate" can basically be boiled down to:

(If you are a straight man) are you comfortable getting naked in front of an openly gay naked man, both showering at the same time in a public shower, knowing this may or may not be sexually arousing for him. (I'd get quite aroused if an attractive naked woman was showering 2 meters from me)

If you are cool with being in that situation, that's nice. I imagine a lot of (if not most) straight male soldiers aren't. I think being allowed to be openly gay is important and social justice blabla but in the army I can see that it could (not always) be detrimental to cohesion, and result in lost lives (both straight and gay).

I say go with what has worked. You can say that DADT is necessary only due to "assholes". Well, the "assholes" exist in large quantities so that argument makes it necessary nonetheless.
    It's a shower. Not an orgy.