66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m

Quick question on USA sales tax

I am currently visiting the USA, Florida to be precise, and I am trying to pick up a laptop as I can get one for much cheaper here when compared to the same model in the UK. The laptop I am thinking of buying it on eBay and is listed as $1,099.99. I am however not sure if I should commit to the sale as I have bought something online in the USA before (luckily nothing too expensive) and without any notice (I mean no notice, not even on the 'review your purchase' page) it added on like 10% of the total value as sales tax. By the time I had seen that I had already paid. What I do not know is if after I have clicked 'pay now' on paypal, the tax will be added on. If this is the case, I wouldn't bother buying the laptop, so it is all down to that really.

I am also quite annoyed as I cannot qualify for Newegg's $100 rebate

The laptop is coming from Memphis, TN, United States and will be delivered to somewhere in Florida.

I will link the eBay page here and if anyone from the USA and with good knowledge of buying from different states could give it a skim through, I would greatly appreciate it.

(you need an account to see links)

Thanks!
    Last edited by jongeh; 09-03-2012 at 10:19 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jongeh For This Useful Post:

cloudxcrash (09-04-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    20h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Hmm, I'm no expert and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but from my experiences you don't get sales tax if you order something that is shipping from a different state.
    For example I live in PA, so if I bought something online that was from Pennsylvania they would add the .06% tax on me, but if I bought the same item from Cali then I wouldn't get any tax.
    At least that's my experience, I have purchased individual PC components and have not had tax added on..from newegg, but never a ready-to-go assembled computer so I don't know if there is some kind of special tax consideration for that or not.
    You might have gotten that %10 sales tax added because you are from the UK and using a UK card in the US?
    Again, I'm no expert.. just my 2 cents.

*EDIT* You can always call them and ask

*EDIT* SERIOUS deja vu right now