Time Online
    2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

SUPERBETTER: The Game to Gain 10 Years of Life

The Game to Gain 10 Years of Life

I

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxer For This Useful Post:

goldentryst (08-04-2012),goodieboy (08-04-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I do not believe in this self-help stuff but I will play along anyway lol. With the extra 7 1/2 minutes I plan to read a book on neuroscience while changing positions in my chair and not sitting still hence giving me physical resilience, mental resilience will be provided by focusing on the complex material, emotional resilience because I enjoy reading the material itself, and social resilience by describing the stuff to my sister thereby confusing her but giving me my required social talk. By reading my book I earn another 7 1/2 minutes right?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    You don't believe in science?

We know that the average life expectancy of humans is 78.1 years, but we also know from hundreds of peer reviewed studies that those who regularly boost their four types of resilience live ten years longer.
    I am not a self-help idiot, I am a psychologist and a scientist. I do my research or I don't post at all. x3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I’m not surprised if you’re sceptical, I would be as well, but check this out,
    Whoa calm down I am just saying my opinion, I checked it out and I am skeptical.

I believe in science yes and I believe in if you are a happy person and feel good in life you will live longer not that playing this game will give you 7 1/2 minutes of extra life or that continuously doing it will give you possibly 10 extra years. That is where I am skeptical.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I grant you your first scepticism, playing the game probably isn't giving you 7.5 minutes for every hour you play it, but as I quoted before, the part about living 10 years longer is commonly discussed in peer-reviewed academic journal from some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Reading one of the papers was one got my interested in the first place, and the game wasn't designed by me, it's from SuperBetter Labs who have a staff full of experts in both medical and psychological fields. You must also remember that those four tasks are just the first set of UB quests; it's sort of like the prologue to the game, if you will. I would go find some articles but I'm tired and hungry. The SB labs website has some nice stuff on who's working on it and such.

And don't worry, I wasn't getting worked up or anything. I'm a pretty blunt person and sometimes that can look like I'm getting upset, sorry about that. xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Okay, first, the writing was amazing. I felt as though I was reading an official article from a magazine. That aside...

I believe there is a meaning behind these steps; the theory that practicing and maintaining simple things such as socialization, emotional/mental/physical stability has a place in enriching our lives and allowing us to live happier if not longer ones. In fact I don't just believe it, I know it. However, I thought the "games" notion was a bit misplaced. I felt that this article, while being nothing short of entertaining and interesting, fell short in trying to justify playing games. And by games I mean long-term ones like Neopets, MMORPG (Maplestory, Mabinogi, WoW) games. Not the harmless stuff like Angry Birds.

Regardless, the article was very encouraging, trying to get the reader to take a step beyond the comfort zone in order to experience something new and improve their way of life. Thanks for writing this, I liked it very much.