Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think about China?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    417 times
    Time Online
    11d 9h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    yeah, you know that men are much better than women at everything, besides cooking and cleaning, so you know that there is foul play involved. no way a 16 year old girl can beat all the men.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carrot For This Useful Post:

Caleb (08-02-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
    yeah, you know that men are much better than women at everything, besides cooking and cleaning, so you know that there is foul play involved. no way a 16 year old girl can beat all the men.
    I don't know if you are trying to be sarcastic or not, but yes, theoretically, men should be better than women at swimming, at least at Olympic standard! Especially where muscular strength and endurance is the key to winning. Take a look at professional women bodybuilders vs professional men's bodybuilders for example. No matter how strong that women is going to get, there will be a man, who may not even be a BB that will be stronger!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    67 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The have over 1.2 billion people between them and India there bound to have some very highly skilled athletes

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I personally feel that if the girl was that amazing then she deserves the Gold medal and the praise that she was faster than the American #1 guy. If she is found to have been doping then the matter will be properly dealt with otherwise grow up and realize that American's can get beat by other truly talented athletes despite being the opposite sex, end of story.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    16d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    If she's passed a drug test, then she shouldn't be being accused.
    If somehow she's managed to pass a drugs test, then it's the fault of the testing company.

And as for China dominating, I think since they don't really focus on conventional sports and they have a population much larger than many countries, I'd imagine they would dominate the majority of the sports that other countries don't practice as much, e.g. shooting and stuff. I know in England it's not many kids dreams to be a world-class shooter, but they want to be world-class footballers/rugby players etc.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Just so we're clear here....

She was faster in the last 50 by something like .20 seconds. Her overall time is 23 SECONDS SLOWER.

Also, while 5 seconds is fairly drastic for swimming in general at this level, this is the 400 IM. It's an event where time drops can happen in larger intervals. Stephanie Rice, an Australian swimmer, went from 4:41.19 to 4:29.45 in the span of one year (2007 WCs --> Beijing Olympics). Rice also beat the previous record holder by 5.3 seconds. Ye Shiwen beat Rice by 1.3.

China's training is pretty intense and incredibly different from the American system. It's Tiger Mom ramped up tenfold. Kids get recruited early at the slightest hint of talent and move to gov't-sponsored athletic facilities, have rigorous diet restrictions, rarely see their families in some cases. They do specialize in certain sports the way Cuba does with boxing, while America is an all-around; it also happens they're great at events with many medal opportunities.

also wow I feel like this is a pretty long post for SPAM awk.
    gr8

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    7d 6h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm Chinese, living in CA, couldn't be more against their culture. Based on the way they train their athletes, they should be winning a lot more medals than they are, honestly. And hey I think they didn't win a single medal in womens' gymnastics this year. Probably cuz they're all of age now

Also, badminton drama.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I think the point here is that this guy thinks men are superior to women and as such she cannot have beaten a man at swimming.

What an ass.
    That is such a naive statement.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    I'm Chinese, living in CA, couldn't be more against their culture. Based on the way they train their athletes, they should be winning a lot more medals than they are, honestly. And hey I think they didn't win a single medal in womens' gymnastics this year. Probably cuz they're all of age now

Also, badminton drama.
    Thank you, someone that can actually see past the end of their nose! I couldn't agree more!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    I personally feel that if the girl was that amazing then she deserves the Gold medal and the praise that she was faster than the American #1 guy. If she is found to have been doping then the matter will be properly dealt with otherwise grow up and realize that American's can get beat by other truly talented athletes despite being the opposite sex, end of story.
    Firstly, I am not American, so I am not being Bias, which is what you seem to be implying. Secondly, this thread wasn't specifically about athlete doping. All I am saying is that there could be foul play going on in China in preparation for the Games.