5/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Lightbulb Working With Bigger People

Ok, Me and my wife have decided to start working out together. We really want a kid, but she can't safely have one right now due to her size. She was 327 lbs when we started last week. I was 230 lbs. It's been five days. She is now down to 310, but i have stayed the same.

Now the challenge, she can't walk or run. She has some weird condition that causes her foot to lock up if she uses it to much. It's because of her weight and as soon as she is back down to 280, she will be free from it.

What i have been doing with her. This is for you guys and girls that are larger and have troubles doing what "normal" people can do. I myself have arthritis so it's hard for me someday.

1) Warm up by stretching base snap muscles.
    2) Martial Arts Based: 25 back hands, forward punches, and up juts per hand. in a oscillating pattern. I vary the pattern each day to change how the muscles adapt.
    3) Modified Bicycle: Then we get on the ground putting our legs at a 90 degree angle. We place our hands on our foreheads with elbows out. Then we try to touch our elbows to our opposite knee. (Right Elbow to Left Knee) 4 count reps. 10 reps.
    4) Modified Pushups: She then gets on her knees, placing her hands in front of her. Holding her feet up slightly off the ground, she does pushups. (Down 1, up 2, down 3, up 4 = 1 rep) She does 20 reps. While I do pushups the regular way.
    5) Hello world: This changes up each time to keep the body from adapting. But the main idea is laying on her back, raising the feet 2 inches off the ground and then preforming an action with it. Like raising one leg slowly, then lowing it, and repeating with the other leg. Opening and closing of the legs, Rotating the legs, rocking the body, etc...
    6) Balance: I place her in a position which doesn't put strain on the foot but requires a tremendous amount of balance. We do this until her body can't hold anymore. (Normally 30 seconds. Some of the positions are very hard to hold.)
    7) Cool down: Using deep cleanings breaths, combined with stretches and light yoga, we bring her heart beat back to normal.
    8) Relaxation hypnosis: I have training in basic hypnosis, and I use it to help her relax and let go of the things of the day to help her sleep better.

My question is this, I want to add one more cardio, one more muscle, and one more balance type exercise to this route. What would you all suggest?

It's also 105-120 outside most days during the summer. Which isn't normal for this area.

Lets share our ideas and make a great work out that we all can get fit with.

Thanks everyone!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Honestly, I think you would do great with a little bit of cardio mixed in there.
    Running would probably be a little difficult, but maybe bike riding? Or since it's HOT out there, hop in a pool and swim for awhile. Swimming can be a great cardio exercise.

Just keep doing what youre doing and you will see a change. The reason nothing changed for you could be that you are gaining muscle and it's counteracting the weight gain. But if you keep doing it, you should notice a change.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

~*~ Kylae's BFF #1 ~*~
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It's actually recommended you start with the elliptical machine or bicycling before you get into running. These activities are less strenuous on your system while still helping you lose fat and tone the muscles in your legs. Plus, it gets your body used to the movement so running will become easier once you start. So, maybe you don't need to bike outside, though I say the hotter the better because your body has to work to maintain a constant, healthy body temperature. If you feel it's too dangerous, a stationary bike is great.
    Or you can always go dancing!!! Best way to be completely oblivious to how many calories you burn. Fun for both of you, really no rules, just shake that thang and get down with yo' bad self.
    I would focus more on cardio than muscle building at least for the first couple weeks. You'll see results a lot faster, and you'll be able to improve over time. That paired with a change in diet is going to be the optimal way to see the numbers on the scale drop, as opposed to just chasing a healthy body. Cut out carbs (you don't need them!!!!! REALLY!) and focus on protein, fruits, and veggies. When I want to drop some pounds quick, I just stick to those three basic groups and my body sees almost immediate changes without any loss in nutrition. What are you guys doing in terms of food?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkie For This Useful Post:

goldentryst (08-04-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    201 times
    Time Online
    7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    @(you need an account to see links)

Great Progress!

In addition to exercise, remember that diet is an important must too!

This doesn't mean you have to starve yourself, quite the opposite in fact.

Go to Acaloriecounter.com to keep track it also has very useful information on food and nutrition, stay away from trans fat but saturated and mono is good. But don't kill yourself over it and count every grape you eat.

This is the direct link to what you may be interested in.

(you need an account to see links)

REMEMBER! Lose weight in a healthy manner! Do not lose too much too quickly and your goal is to lose weight and stay that way!

That means starting to maintain a healthy and consistent lifestyle, one step at a time.

There will be a point in the future where you will hit a wall where you just aren't losing weight anymore, that means you need to change up your exercise routine and work harder to lose more.

Also I definitely recommend swimming!

Good luck with EVERYTHING!

I hope this helps :2

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Thank you for all the great suggestions!

@(you need an account to see links) Don't have the money for a pool.
    @(you need an account to see links) We have been dieting, but this site has some good information. Thanks a lot.
    @(you need an account to see links) The dancing would be great after we get the foot problem solved. I was thinking of getting zumba classes if the money comes available.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will be adding a little more cardio to it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by davebold370 View Post
    Ok, Me and my wife have decided to start working out together. We really want a kid, but she can't safely have one right now due to her size. She was 327 lbs when we started last week. I was 230 lbs. It's been five days. She is now down to 310, but i have stayed the same.

Now the challenge, she can't walk or run. She has some weird condition that causes her foot to lock up if she uses it to much. It's because of her weight and as soon as she is back down to 280, she will be free from it.

What i have been doing with her. This is for you guys and girls that are larger and have troubles doing what "normal" people can do. I myself have arthritis so it's hard for me someday.

1) Warm up by stretching base snap muscles.
    2) Martial Arts Based: 25 back hands, forward punches, and up juts per hand. in a oscillating pattern. I vary the pattern each day to change how the muscles adapt.
    3) Modified Bicycle: Then we get on the ground putting our legs at a 90 degree angle. We place our hands on our foreheads with elbows out. Then we try to touch our elbows to our opposite knee. (Right Elbow to Left Knee) 4 count reps. 10 reps.
    4) Modified Pushups: She then gets on her knees, placing her hands in front of her. Holding her feet up slightly off the ground, she does pushups. (Down 1, up 2, down 3, up 4 = 1 rep) She does 20 reps. While I do pushups the regular way.
    5) Hello world: This changes up each time to keep the body from adapting. But the main idea is laying on her back, raising the feet 2 inches off the ground and then preforming an action with it. Like raising one leg slowly, then lowing it, and repeating with the other leg. Opening and closing of the legs, Rotating the legs, rocking the body, etc...
    6) Balance: I place her in a position which doesn't put strain on the foot but requires a tremendous amount of balance. We do this until her body can't hold anymore. (Normally 30 seconds. Some of the positions are very hard to hold.)
    7) Cool down: Using deep cleanings breaths, combined with stretches and light yoga, we bring her heart beat back to normal.
    8) Relaxation hypnosis: I have training in basic hypnosis, and I use it to help her relax and let go of the things of the day to help her sleep better.

My question is this, I want to add one more cardio, one more muscle, and one more balance type exercise to this route. What would you all suggest?

It's also 105-120 outside most days during the summer. Which isn't normal for this area.

Lets share our ideas and make a great work out that we all can get fit with.

Thanks everyone!
    Trust me, if you want the best information, get a personal trainer or use the forums on (you need an account to see links). Don't be put off by the name, it isn't a site for hulking steroid using gym monkeys; The people there are pretty much experts and they will set you up with a good routine and also help you with your dieting requirements. There are also lots of extremely informative posts to read through. I have read stuff on there that I didn't even have an inkling of knowledge about prior, and it really helped me out when I was training.

Give it a go.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    14d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    i throw up sometimes, i know that helps
    and starve myself.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I concur with jongeh that bodybuilding.com is the best source for information on getting in shape.
    Quick counter-intuitive but scientifically solid information (that you'd find on there):
    Cardio is the THIRD most effective measure for losing weight.
    1. By far the most important is caloric restriction -- eating less.
    2. Also more effective than cardio in weight loss is muscle building/strength training. This is because muscle fibers burn more calories/fat per unit weight than any other cell in our body, even when completely at rest.

For me, occupying myself with enjoyable/addicting activities like Neopets reduces food craving. Cardio is great for cardiovascular health, but in terms of calories and weight loss, eating one less snack bar is the same as running for a long long time. Cardio is more like finishing touches in terms of weight loss.

Good luck!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    2d 20h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It's been a month! How are things going??
    It's difficult for me to imagine what that is like because I've always had a fast metabolism and being thin runs in my genes so I hope you reach your goals-both of you!