34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m

Scientists may have found evidence of the "God Particle"

Not sure how many other people would find this interesting but I kinda do. Scientists at CERN have found possible evidence of the Higgs Boson particle with very high statistical certainty that it is not just a fluke finding. Basically the Higgs Boson particle is thought to play a role in giving particles mass, without mass nothing can be formed and hence scientists consider finding evidence of the Higgs Boson a way to study the creation of the Universe. Anyone else find this interesting? I am not one for physics but the Large Haldron Collider is still a sweet machine lol.

(you need an account to see links)

Large Haldron Collider:

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Clefairy (07-04-2012),deathwish42 (07-05-2012),j03 (07-04-2012),John (07-04-2012),Sherri (07-04-2012),zxzero (07-04-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Well just as anything, I think it is an astounding discovery and the idea of studying the creation of the universe is groundbreaking in itself. However, the creation of the universe is something so vast that I don't believe a single particle can give enough information for a human to grasp the entire creation process. It may however, give them a good idea of how parts of the universe were formed which is still really interesting.

Then again, I'm no scientist and never will be with such general skepticism

Cause someday I'll be OVER 9,000... Rep!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xanice For This Useful Post:

Ryan~ (07-04-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    201 times
    Time Online
    7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    If the Higgs boson does exist, it would solve the question of why there are so many different size particles and eliminate many of them since most are repetitive. I'm not sure if what I'm saying is right but if they prove it, it will be big!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    It would be a big deal if it is the Higgs Boson. Proving it exists would essentially mean they have a "DNA" of sorts to particle physics...the building blocks to the building blocks. At least that is how I have read it on other sources, again I am not one for physics so I do not know for sure lol. But still quite interesting.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    That pretty much sums it up, Sci_girl. If we can understand the basics we can make mater. We can turn lead into gold. But, i don't think they will fully find it just yet. Myself, i think time will be directly effected by this creation or shifting of the particle. The reason why? Because if it builds the base of mater, then it would effect the direct movement of the mater. The movement of matter is the flow of time in my personal opinion.

But, i'm excited because if they do and nothing bad happens, then we can make lead to gold.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by davebold370 View Post
    That pretty much sums it up, Sci_girl. If we can understand the basics we can make mater. We can turn lead into gold. But, i don't think they will fully find it just yet. Myself, i think time will be directly effected by this creation or shifting of the particle. The reason why? Because if it builds the base of mater, then it would effect the direct movement of the mater. The movement of matter is the flow of time in my personal opinion.

But, i'm excited because if they do and nothing bad happens, then we can make lead to gold.
    Then gold will be worthless though, so what's really the purpose of transmuting lead to gold?

The only possible use I can see to the uses of transmutation is creating scarce resources that human kind needs to survive out of otherwise useless materials, such as turning marshes into lush fertile forests or something of the like. Gold is expensive only because of it's scarcity, if it were not scarce then suddenly it's worth nothing. In addition to that, the process of turning lead to gold would probably cost so much that it'd be impractical to create gold from lead anyway, so the discovery probably won't affect markets at all.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Ciricus, lol! Turning lead to gold is a saying. If we can reshape atoms into another type of atom we can rearrange the matter to what we need it to be. We can create a metal that can transfer photons without heating up forcing the computer world into the quantum computering. Instead of storing one bit of data into 12 atoms, we can do it in one atom, and so on so forth. It will change the computer world. Organic matter on the other hand is more complex and would take much more time to figure out. So, the discovery will take longer to effect those markets. The main thing i think it will effect is how we move. All things move, without that movement an atom breaks apart. That's assuming what they think they found is correct. If so, the world might not see it's effects until our grand children or later.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by davebold370 View Post
    Ciricus, lol! Turning lead to gold is a saying. If we can reshape atoms into another type of atom we can rearrange the matter to what we need it to be. We can create a metal that can transfer photons without heating up forcing the computer world into the quantum computering. Instead of storing one bit of data into 12 atoms, we can do it in one atom, and so on so forth. It will change the computer world. Organic matter on the other hand is more complex and would take much more time to figure out. So, the discovery will take longer to effect those markets. The main thing i think it will effect is how we move. All things move, without that movement an atom breaks apart. That's assuming what they think they found is correct. If so, the world might not see it's effects until our grand children or later.
    Woopsies. This is why I'm a business major and not a scientist LOL. It shows right?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    21d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    fact religion is a false scam to gain money!! i understand it gives people hope but i don't think churches should charge to remove your sins or help the needy even though it goes into a fund for something the church doesn't need i love science just made my night

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwish42 View Post
    fact religion is a false scam to gain money!! i understand it gives people hope but i don't think churches should charge to remove your sins or help the needy even though it goes into a fund for something the church doesn't need i love science just made my night
    The core of "religion" itself is pretty messed up. But once you strip the "religion" out of "religion" you will find things much different. But that's for the debate area, not the general discussion area. All I can really say is this, you can't make something out of nothing. If a group of people truly wish to help others then they will use the money given to do so. And the paying to remove sin is.... well.... i have personally never ran into that myself. but once again, this topic would be best in the debate area where linking facts would be set up and such.

The god particle will show us a lot about ourselves and i hope it shows us a lot about how the universe moves, and explains more about dark energy and matter. In the end the movement of matter has always confused me. I mean, a single electron will weave into and out of existence. That makes no sense to me. Where does it go?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to davebold370 For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-06-2012)