Thread: Should poor people get an education?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    120/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    26d 19h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m

Should poor people get an education?

Not in this country: (you need an account to see links)

I think this is bullshit, one principal admitted to removing the names of unwanted students from the ballot for out-of-zone enrolments

Visiting academic, Chris Lubienski, found city schools were skewing enrolment zones to exclude children from poorer families

School are manipulating the enrolment zones to exclude the poor areas and include the rich areas

I think this is sad....

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    38/0
    Mentioned
    183 times
    Time Online
    4h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Wow, way to go NOT solving the economic inequality.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Well, I'm not positive how New Zealand is compared to the states, but you may want to consider educational funding as a factor here. I'm not by ANY MEANS, agreeing with this sort of stupid mentality. However, the principal's considerations may be "we have no money. We need money. Follow the yellow brick road leading to the rich daddies and mommies". As many schools (particularly private ones) require funding from more than just the government, they have to stick their necks out to try to grab any donations they can possibly get.

The stupider mentality would just be that principles falsely believe rich students are smarter. That's an absolute negatory and would be a theory formed only by an imbecile. Living conditions, while does play an impact on children do not ultimately affect how "smart" or "stupid" they are. In fact, worse living conditions make a student more prone to work harder, due to being under the pressure of a constant struggle and becoming more accustomed to high-stress situations versus someone from a rich family, who may never have to lift a finger, even when it comes to college tuition. This creates a fine line between text-book intelligence and real-world intelligence between the two economic extremes. For that reason, "intelligence" is an impossible basis it distinguish from something as shallow as economic status.

/rambleramble

Cause someday I'll be OVER 9,000... Rep!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    201 times
    Time Online
    7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Whoa Whoa Whoa!

Calm down your titties @(you need an account to see links)

They are not denying poor people an education!

Each school has a specified boundary that accepts applications from the local community up to a certain range. What they are doing is extending their range and taking out of zone rich students and excluding the in zone students.

Basically the poorer students are forced to go further to get schooling but that does not deny them education.

This causes a concern for overcrowding and a lowered standard of education among other things but rest assured, they are getting schooling.

You have to consider that some schools take grades into consideration and what not.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    120/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    26d 19h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Why should the poor have to walk upto 6 hours a day for school? poor people cant afford cars/gas and some cant afford shoes/food

My high school is a 3 hour walk from here, thats why i never went, there was no way i was gonna get up at 5am, start walking at 5:30am and walk for 6 hours a day (3 there and 3 back)

No, they arnt flat out denying poor people an education coz that would be illegal, just make it so the poor cant get to school, thats legal

Since school was too far away i never went, i spent most my day smoking pot and meeting shady people...

evelsaint said:
    Each school has a specified boundary that accepts applications from the local community up to a certain range. What they are doing is extending their range and taking out of zone rich students and excluding the in zone students.

No, what they are doing is changing the zones to exclude whole poor areas and include the rich ones, not taking rich out of zone students, just changing the zones to the rich areas, they are not extending the zones, just changing them
    Last edited by ShadowCreature; 06-27-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCreature View Post
    Not in this country: (you need an account to see links)

I think this is bullshit, one principal admitted to removing the names of unwanted students from the ballot for out-of-zone enrolments

Visiting academic, Chris Lubienski, found city schools were skewing enrolment zones to exclude children from poorer families

School are manipulating the enrolment zones to exclude the poor areas and include the rich areas

I think this is sad....
    They seemed to have missed the fact that their are smart people who are poor.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Not really @the issue but more @the question, I believe the whole system is rather flawed. Schools should drop standardized material and put you on an educational track starting in freshman year based on your aptitudes. Gifted programs are somewhat good though forcing low performing students to take classes like chemistry and physics in high school that plan to go into a vocational track anyway would be a lot better off if they could actually take classes related to what they want. I think schools more and more so are failing at preparing people for the world. Tons of jobs are available that require a 2 year vocational education that can't be filled due to a lack of skilled labor. Since it costs money to pursue these outside of grade school I would think such programs should be available in grade school. Doesn't even have to be mandatory for failing students. I remember reading New York had a program in the ~1970s where students were rated on a scale of 1-10 and given recommendations on what classes to take that would be likely be beneficial to them based on the ranking but did not lock out students from taking higher ranking classes if they wanted.

As for the gerrymandering, not surprised. People with authority doing what they want cause they think they can. Would be funny to have legislation where district zone managers could only draw the lines on other districts that were at least 100 miles away.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    67 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    They shouldn't exclude people because they are poor, everyone should have the same basic education, in Australia prep to year 12

Quote Originally Posted by Acid View Post
    Wow, way to go NOT solving the economic inequality.
    There will never be economic equality and never should be, why should rich be punished for making more money? Why should they be punished for there efforts? If anything lower taxes for the rich encourages investment which in turn creates jobs and helps the lower socioeconomic bridge the gap