Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contraception should be free and available to everyone - Discuss.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Contraception should be free and available to everyone - Discuss.

I'd like to see peoples opinions on contraception, whether or not you'd opt for contraception when you become sexually active (vaginal penetration) and how accessible is any type of contraception in your country.

First we shall define contraception However I will make it clear that I do not consider abstinence a form of contraception. I will also not be considering the "Withdrawal (Pull Out Method)" as whilst it may be effective it relies on someone being fully aware and conscious about their motor control (drugs and alcohol - whilst intake may be small - can affect reflexes ((fyi drugs and alcohol together are worst on motor reflexes))

Furthermore - I'm talking about WORLDWIDE contraception. Not just the big 1st world countries.

Wikipedia definition:
    Contraception is the prevention of the fusion of gametes during or after sexual activity. The term contraception is a portmanteau of contra, which means against, and the word conception, meaning fertilization. Contraception can occur both naturally and via artificial means in humans and in animals.

Forms of contraception that women can use:

Birth Control Implant
    Birth Control Patch
    Birth Control Pills
    Birth Control Shot
    Birth Control Sponge
    Birth Control Vaginal Ring
    Breastfeeding as Birth Control
    Cervical Cap
    Diaphragm
    Female Condom
    Fertility Awareness-Based Methods
    IUD
    Morning-After Pill
    Spermicide
    Sterilization for Women
    *Condom

Birth Control for Men:
    Condom
    Vasectomy
    *Arguably some sort of injection is being designed in India that doesn't effect libido...but I won't be considering this as I'm unsure how testing is going.

---
    Now whilst I wish that all contraception should be free, we live in a capitalist world and it won't happen. However there are 3 main ones which should be considered, they are Birth Control Pills, Birth Control Shots and condoms (all those uh...ribbed, flavoured and ones with shiny add-ons don't need to be)

Why should contraception should be free/and why those contraceptions:

1. The Birth Control Shot - Is very efficient in countries where there is a stigma around contraception (generally where contraception correlates with sin/breaking religious law or even governments laws) and where poverty is also high and women's rights are low (3rd word countries). It is easily hidden from dominating men in households, it only needs to be taken every 3-4 months instead of every day, and is helpful in cases of rape where the man ejaculates (but does not take into account STDs) if the women is already on the BC. It gives women control, it controls birthrates.

*Poverty and High Birth Rates are correlated (when poverty is high, Birth rates are high because death rates are higher)((you need an account to see links))

2. The Birth Control Pill - The pill provides an alternative to women who may or may not be able to take the shot. There are also a range of pills which each are individually different accommodating for different reactions to the hormone changes.

3. Basic condoms - Condoms should be free so that men have some control over being fathers. Condoms are also the only effective way to prevent STD's so therefore should be automatically accepted into the top 3 list.

Family Planning and Contraception decrease abortion rates, poverty rates, increase education levels/opportunities (for women and men) and generally increase income. It is also significantly cheaper for an economy to subsidise birth control than fund families on low incomes who cannot afford children. There are also less health risks for the women whilst taking contraceptions than going through pregnancy and for both women men, there are less health risks in regards to condom use and STDs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm interested to see what others think and particulary those who disagree with free contraception.

-Its been awhile since a good debate -
    Last edited by Chi; 08-02-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    103/4
    Mentioned
    640 times
    Time Online
    15d 12h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I don't meant to make this a really small post in the debate section.
    But if you go to your health clinic they give you this giant bag of condoms for free....right? 0-0

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan~ View Post
    I don't meant to make this a really small post in the debate section.
    But if you go to your health clinic they give you this giant bag of condoms for free....right? 0-0
    I'm not sure In the USA probably, but like I said, worldwide contraception for free I'm sure there are some agencies that give free condoms to people but in other places they aren't so lucky

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    286d 22h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    It is free here in the UK. Free condoms, free contraceptive injections, pills, implants etc.

Of course it should be free worldwide, but then people should have food, clean water, education, freedom of speach....

It's just a fact that some areas of the world are not as lucky as the ones we live in unfortunately.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post
    It is free here in the UK. Free condoms, free contraceptive injections, pills, implants etc.

Of course it should be free worldwide, but then people should have food, clean water, education, freedom of speach....

It's just a fact that some areas of the world are not as lucky as the ones we live in unfortunately.
    Yup, And what is your opinion of giving contraception as part of foreign aid schemes?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    286d 22h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    Yup, And what is your opinion of giving contraception as part of foreign aid schemes?
    Of course it should be provided, the cost is minimal and the benefits are clear. However I am not in charge, and I'm not sure if it will happen for a variety of reasons.

This thread could go of on a tangent !

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    There are a lot of US organizations and stuff that deliver condoms in massive numbers to places where it isnt free, primarily in africa to prevent aids spread. I don't know much about the situation in the rest of the world, but in the US it's very easy to get condoms. They are free in almost every medical facility. My boarding high school even gives them away in the health center.
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I do not have a problem with handing out more condoms in areas of 3rd World status. I do not think birth control pills would work though, too much pressure on taking it at the same time everyday and people may honestly be more concerned with surviving than remembering to take that pill when they are supposed to. Then the shot or pill an individual may need to walk several hours to get to the clinic. That may be a deterrent to getting the shot or pill. Then it is going to cost money, a lot more than condoms, to supply birth control pills or shots.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Actually, if you had done your research, third world countries are not referred to that now, but rather as LEDC's (Less economically developed countries.) We already paid enough aid to the LEDC's. We need to get ourselves out of trouble before we even think about helping them, after all, it either comes out of MEDC governments coffers or their taxpayers pockets. There is so much corruption in LEDC's that nothing would ever get done. Have you ever thought about why a country nowadays is still an LEDC? Well it is because of how corrupt their governments are. We could offer all the aid in the world for free contraception and the corrupt governments would take the donations and wire it off to offshore bank accounts to feed their own personal or political needs. On the other hand, we could literally send hundreds of condoms over to Africa (as an example) but what would that stop? Third world hunger? We have been trying to fight that since before I was born.

In my opinion, all that is needed is a stable government. Not a shit load of free contraception.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    121/0
    Mentioned
    47 times
    Time Online
    8d 7h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Its free here in the uk at certain places in every town